Design: Bernese Mountain Dog
Breeds: write list of breeds?
- The Bernese is one of four varieties of Swiss Mountain Dog.
- The Bernese is known in native land as Berner Sennenhund.
- The Bernese shares similar distinctive coloring with the other varieties of Swiss Mountain Dog, but it is the only one of the four to have a long, silky coat.
- The Bernese worked as drovers and draft dogs as well as watchdogs in the farmyards, mainly in the Canton of Berne, Switzerland.
- The ancestors of the Bernese dogs were brought into Switzerland over two thousand years ago by the invading Roman soldiers.
- Until a few years before WWI, the Bernese had been almost forgotten by all save the oldest inhabitants of Berne, when the breed had become practically unrecognizable. It was not until 1892 that the Swiss fancier Franz Schertenleib attempted to find good specimens to be used as breeding stock.
Bernese Mountain Dog Products
Click on a Product Example Below to Order
There are currently no Bernese Mountain Dog products. Please try back later.